It's my turn to share a post for Impression Obsession's DT Thursday! I wanted to share my method for using these new multi-step peony stamps... I know these types of stamps can be daunting for some, but I really love this method and the results. Here's the card I made:
I used the MISTI stamp positioner to position the stamps as I went along - if you don't have a MISTI, you can use another stamp positioner.
The peony sets are 5-step sets, each image building up to a dimensional flower when all the stamps have been layered. You can use just the 1st, 3rd, and 5th stamps if 5 layer stamping frightens you!
I used 4 inks on this sample, but I did a similar one with 3 inks that I like just as well (I actually meant to use 3 on this one but I got distracted...!). I started by stamping the base image twice onto my cardstock - I just used an acrylic block for this stamp, not the MISTI - I wasn't worried about a really solid impression, and I wanted a little more freedom in the placement of the flowers at first.
For the second layer I positioned my stamp on the MISTI and stamped the image onto a piece of heavy acetate using black dye ink.
I used the acetate to position the image onto my cardstock. Holding the layers together, I positioned the corner of the acetate into the corner of the MISTI.
Still holding the layers together, I flipped up the corner of the acetate and put a magnet down on the cardstock to hold it in place.
The next step was to stamp the 2nd image over the base. I stamped in the same color as the first layer (Versafine Satin Red).
I used the same method of positioning for the 2nd flower....
Here is the result.
For the consecutive layers, I used the same method, stamping onto the acetate with black dye ink...
...positioning the acetate over the stamped image...
...holding the layers together and tucking the corner of the acetate right into the corner of the MISTI, then using a magnet to hold the cardstock in place...
...and stamping (I used Fired Brick Distress Ink for the 3rd layer, Adirondack Currant for the 4th, and Memento Tuxedo Black for the 5th).
I did some masking to complete the rest of the card front... the leaves are also multi-step but I didn't need a lot of detail in them so I just used one of the layers, masking the flower to stamp the leaves around it.
I masked a circle for the sentiment and sponged the rest of the card, then stamped the sentiment to finish it off.
Here's the card again (sorry for the photo-heavy post!!) - and you can find the peony sets HERE and HERE. If you have suggestions for future multi-step flowers, please let me know! Working on some roses today.